Tags

, , , , , , , ,

Today was one of the first beautiful days of spring; sunny and warm, so my girlfriend and i headed out to enjoy it, as did droves of others. She grabbed her sketch book and pencil case and after the usual cunundrum of deciding film or digital, medium format or 35mm, tripod or no tripod we were on our way.

Just off the main walking course I noticed a trail had been stomped down in the head high, golden grass. We followed it to a neat little spot along the Han River unlike any that I have seen yet, especially in this area of the Hangang. Very secluded almost no people within sight, sort of a kids clubhouse feel.

I set up the tripod, screwed in the cable release, the wind was blowing pretty good and I was hoping to mitigate motion blur in teh water that was likely so I set the shutter speed accordingly then metered to see if my exposure was on. It was a bit under so I went to lower the aperature and I heard a click, similar to the noise of the lens release button. Then I hit the meter switch again and nothing, it was dead. Stuck at teh bottom. I checked the batteryl the light illuminated. I usually carry a spare so I switched it just to make sure. Still nothing.

The 67 has a weird quark in that if you dismount the prism and remount it you also have to take off the lens and remount it or the meter wont function, so I did all that and nada, still dead.

I knew I was close enough to a correct exposure using instinct, I checked with my phones light meter app; I really should test this thing with the digital camera before I have to rely on it with film. I finished the last two shots on the roll of TMY 400 and went to sit down where Ji was sketching and take a closer look at what the problem might be.

I noticed a piece of very fine silver chain sticking out of a slot at the front-top of the area where the metering prism connects to the body. With nothing I could really do I loaded a new roll, Portra 400, this time, and took another picture or two before the setting sun’s chill drove us back home.

At home I did a quick internet search and got a solution and instructions and a bonus, the entire service manual online! Not that I am hoping I will need to use it for anything else.

I took out the tools and prepped my work station, read over the steps once more and got to it.

1

2

3

4

5

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ligynnek/25460176711/in/dateposted-public/

7

Once I had access to the whole chain I could finally see what had broken. one of the links opened up. I tried to put it back together and crimp the end closed but without the propper tool it just gave way again when I gave it a pull. I had a second idea but no wire to fix it so instead I used the next best thing at least it might fork for a little while. I removed the broken link and used 3 strands of threadand to mend the two sections of chain adding a few small knots.

Then I noticed how rough the chain was pulling through the opening. I read about a pulley but where was it. So, more screws undone and bingo!

8

I dont expect that it will hold up for ever but in the mean time I can hunt for some thin gauge wire to replace the thread.

Update: First after reading around more it seems this wan NOT just enevitable wear, and was instead caused by my own wrong doing. I must have gotten away with it before and never realized. The Pentax 67 when matched with the metered viewfinder have to be assembled in a specific order; first, attach the metered view finder to the camera, then attach the lens to the camera. Also from playing around with the camera so much, I notice that it seems setting it to f22 would induce the least stress when mounting and unmounting the lens. If you havent removed the viewfinder you can mount and unmount lenses as you like; just remember; viewfinder before lens.

I have been woried about the thread holding up and was thinking jewelry wire but then I passed a fishing store and poked in for a minute, found some 16lb line, went home, took it all apart again, stared at the repair manual, got SO close to it working. Everything moves as it should but the meter was acting funny, only working in Stopdown mode. realized after reading more carefully that I had made the fishing line a few mm too short. Took it all apart again, bumped the knot a tiny bit and Bingo! Working again.

 

Advertisements